羊皮卷的故事(15)(在线收听

Each rebuff is an opportunity to move forward;

只要永不放弃,持之以恒,每次挫折,都是你进步的机会。

turn away from them, avoid them,

如果你逃避退缩,

and you throw away your future.

那就等于自毁前途。”

The youth nodded

少年在一旁频频点头,

and made as if to speak but the old man raised his hand and continued, "

想着老人的话,正要开口,却被老人挥手止住了。

Furthermore, you are embarking on the loneliest profession in the world.

“还有,你正走向世界上最孤独的行业。

Even the despised tax collectors return to their homes at sundown

即便是受人轻视的税吏,夕阳西下时,还有家可归。

and the legions of Rome have a barracks to call home.

那些罗马士兵,天黑以后也有营舍为家。

But you will witness many setting suns

但是你以后会眼睁睁地看着太阳落山,

far from all friends and loved ones.

远离亲友,只能穿越万家灯火,匆匆赶路。

Nothing can bring the hurt of loneliness upon a man

世上没有比这些更能让人触景生情,

so swiftly as to pass a strange house in the dark

心碎意沉的了。

and witness, in the lamplight from within,a family breaking evening bread together.

眼看着别人合家欢聚,共享天伦,你别无选择,

"It is in these periods of loneliness that temptations will confront you,"

“倍感寂寞的时候,诱惑就来了。”

Pathros continued.

柏萨罗继续说着,

"How you meet these temptations

如何应对这些诱惑,

will greatly affect your career.

关系到你的事业和前途。

When you are on the road

当你独自赶路,

with only your animal

伴着你的只有一匹骆驼时,

it is a strange and often frightening sensation.

你会感到陌生而可怕。

Often our perspectives and our values are temporarily forgotten

那种时候,我们常常会暂时忘了一切,忘了前途,忘了身份,

and we become like children,

变得像小孩子一样,

longing for the safety and love of our own.

渴望安全,渴望一份属于自己的爱。

What we find as a substitute has ended the career of many

许多人熬不住,半途而废,另寻寄托。

including thousands who were considered to have great potential in the art of selling.

而事实上,他们都具有潜力,可以成为一流的推销员。

Furthermore, there will be no one to humor you or console you

还有,当你的货推销不出去的时候,

when you have sold no goods;

没有人会谅解你,安慰你。

no one except those who seek to separate you from your money pouch."

人们只会趁你不注意的时候,拿走你的钱袋。”

"I will be careful and heed thy words of warning.

“我会记下您的话。”

"Then let us begin.

那就开始吧!

For the present you will receive no more advice."

眼下,我不再给你任何忠告。

You stand before me as a green fig.

现在,你就像一颗青涩的无花果,

Until the fig is ripe it cannot be called a fig

熟透前无人问津。

and until you have been exposed to knowledge and experience

等到有了经验,有了知识,

you cannot be called a salesman."

你才算得上一名推销员。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/sjszwddtxysy/557009.html