美国英语口语俚语(9)(在线收听

美国英语口语俚语(9)
1.roll with the punches逆来顺受
You have to roll with the punches if you want to survive in this business.
如果你想在这一行生存下去的话,就得逆来顺受。
2.right off the bat立刻
I was all prepared to put up a fight, but he gave in right off the bat.
我正准备和他大打一场,但是他马上就投降了。
3.get one’s feet wet参与,开始做
It’s not good to concentrate all your efforts on just writing. You should get your feet wet and trying painting or dancing.
单单写作对你不好。你应该涉猎一下绘画或舞蹈。
4.get after盯着,责备
Ann’s mother gets after her to hang up her clothes.
安的妈妈盯着她,要她把衣服挂好。
5.pan out成功,奏效
Unfortunately, the deal did not pan out. I lost a thousand dollars.
这笔生意不幸没有成功,我损失了1,000美元。
6.screw someone over欺负某人
After working in the office for ten years, Alice was fired for no apparent reason. How can they screw her over like that?
  爱丽斯工作了十年之后,无缘无故被炒鱿鱼。他们怎么可以这样欺负她呢?
7.down to the wire等到最后一刻才开始做事
Peter always waits until the last minute to do his work. I could never leave it down to the wire like that.
彼得总是等到最后一刻才开始做事。我从不想他那样等到最后一刻才开始干。
8.buck抗拒
You can’t buck the system.
你无法抗拒整个制度。
9.blockhead笨蛋
Arnold is a blockhead if I ever saw one.
阿诺德是我见过的最笨的人。
10.blow the lid off揭发(丑闻)
That newspaper story blew the lid off the Senator’s illegal business deals.
报纸的报道揭发了参议员的非法勾当。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/listen/essay/99382.html