欧美人文风情第45篇:电子产品的人类成本(在线收听

 The experience of a product. 产品的体验。

Will it make life better? 它会让生活更美好吗?
Until every idea we touch enhances each life it touches. 直到我们接触到的每个理念,都能改善它所接触到的每个生活。
When I was in third grade, my mother left home to work as a migrant worker.  我小学三年级时,我的母亲离家去做农民工。
When I was in seventh grade, we stopped hearing from her.  我想要找到她、拯救她。我决心要尽可能赚多点钱。
I wanted to find her, to rescue her. My mind was set on earning as much money as possible. 我想要找到她、拯救她。我决心要尽可能赚多点钱。
My dream was to leave home, to leave the countryside and the mountains behind me. 我的梦想是要离开家、离开我身后的农村及群山。
I was only 14 when I started to work at the factory.  我开始在工厂工作时只有十四岁。
I went to work because my parents worked so hard all year long to pay for my education. 我去工作,因为我的父母为了支付我的教育一整年都如此辛苦地工作。
In China, every year, over 12 million teenagers leave home to find work.  在中国,每一年,超过一千两百万名青少年离家谋职。
They are part of 260 million Chinese who must travel far from home just to make a living. 他们是那些仅为了糊口而离家到远方的两亿六千万中国人中其中一部分。
My work days started at 8 a.m. and ended at 11p.m. There were no holidays.  我的工作日从早上八点开始,晚上十一点结束。没有假日。
I only had one night off a month. We sat there all day cleaning phone chips and using chemicals.  我一个月只有一个晚上休假。我们整天坐在那清理手机晶片、使用化学制品。
There was an Apple screen, and a Nokia screen. 有Apple的荧幕、还有Nokia的荧幕。
When I wasn't eating or sleeping, I will be wiping something. It was the only thing I did.  当我没在用餐或是睡觉,我就是在擦拭某些东西。那是我做的唯一一件事。
There was no other ventilation, no windows.  没有其他流通空气、没有窗户。
The smell was horrible at first, but I eventually got used to it. 一开始那味道很可怕,但我最后习惯它了。
My son's name is Ming Kunpeng. He just turned 26 years old. This should be the best time of his life,  我儿子的名字是Ming Kunpeng。他才刚满二十六岁。这应该是他人生中最精彩的时光,
but unfortunately he was diagnosed with leukemia in May 2009.  但很不幸地他在2009年五月被诊断出罹患血癌。
After three examinations over twelve months, he was confirmed to be occupational leukemia,  经过12个月三项检查后,他证实是职业性血癌,
an aggressive form of cancer caused by benzene. 一种因苯引起、具侵略性的癌症类型。
Benzene is a category one carcinogen that is banned in most Western Countries for industrial use.  苯是在大部分西方国家禁止做工业使用的第一类致癌物质。
China, maker of more than 50% of the world's cell phones, is an exception. 中国,世界过半手机的制造者,是个例外。
I've now been through 28 chemotherapy treatments. My bones hurt a lot.  我现在已经做了二十八次化疗。我的骨头很痛。
It feels like thousands of ants biting my insides. It's really painful. 好像有数千只蚂蚁在啃食我的内脏。真的很痛苦。
I've been living in this hospital for six years now. It feels like a prison, and there's no way to escape.  我现在已经在这间医院住了六年。这好像监狱,没有办法逃脱。
I feel like my life is over. I really don't know what to do. 我觉得我的人生已经完了。我真的不知道要做什么。
It took 19 months of struggle to prove my leukemia was workplace-related.  那经历了十九个月的奋战才证明我的血癌是与工作场所有关的。
I petitioned to the government authorities many times and was sent home by force. 我向政府当局请愿好几次,但被强行送回家。
The factory manager called my coworker and told him not to tell other workers what was wrong. 工厂经理打给我的同事,叫他不要告诉其他同事有事出错了。
There were several people who accompanied me to the hospital when I received the diagnosis.  有好几个人在我接收诊断时陪我到医院。
They carried a bag with them, a bag of money. 他们带着一个袋子,一袋钱。
They went ahead in my absence. They concluded my cancer was not caused from working at the factory,  他们在我缺席时继续下去。他们断定我的癌症并不是因为在工厂工作引起的,
and I was denied compensation. 而我被拒绝支付赔偿。
When I was on the street, I would take a close look at anyone who had a physical resemblance to my mother.  当我在街上时,我会仔细看看任何和我母亲有生理上相似之处的人。
I was worried what had happened to her, and that she was suffering.  我担心她发生了什么事、担心她在受苦。
That's why I've been working so hard. But now everything is...everything is over. 那就是为什么我这么努力工作。但现在一切都...一切都完了。
You know what? When I was in the hospital, I couldn't walk, but I didn't dare tell my mother.  你知道吗?我在医院的时候,我不能走路,但我不敢告诉我妈妈。
I had expected that I would be responsible, that I would try to relieve some of the burdens from my parents.  我曾期待我能负责任、我会试着减轻我父母的一些负担。
But the truth is, I ended up as their burden. 但事实是,我最后成了他们的负担。
Do you miss home? Do you want to take all back home? Let's go home. 你想家吗?想要将一切带回家吗?我们回家吧。
He jumped off the building. He ultimately chose to end his own life.  他从屋子上跳下来。他最后选择结束他自己的人生。
He couldn't take the struggle any longer—the pressure of dealing with this illness, the factory, and benzene poisoning. 他再也不能承受那挣扎--处理这个病痛、工厂、苯毒害的压力。
I propose that we all stand up and hold a silent tribute for Ming. We are all benzene patients.  我提议我们全都站起来,并为Ming默哀。我们全都是苯的患者。
For those of us who are alive, we need to fight for our rights, for justice, and live on. 对于我们那些活着的人,我们需要为我们的权力、为正义奋斗,并活下去。
Benzene is a horrifying poison that causes cancer.  苯是导致癌症的一种可怕毒物。
We want to deliver a message to the public that benzene can be replaced by safer alternatives. 我们想要向大众传达一个讯息,就是苯可以用更安全的替代品所取代。
We want brands to take responsibility for working conditions at their supplier factories,  我们想要品牌能对他们供应商工厂的工作条件、
and good occupational health and safety measures, and policies and practices.  优良的职业健康及安全措施、还有政策及实施负起责任。
And banning the use of benzenes is part of that. It's just part of supply chain responsibility. 禁止苯的使用即是那其中一部分。那只是供应链责任的其中一部分。
Benzene is widely used in various industries.  苯在各种不同工业中被广泛运用。
Sporting goods, printing, and electronic products as well as finishing materials contain benzene.  运动用品、印刷、电子产品以及装修材料都含有苯。
Not only are the workers working in very toxic environments, but the customers who buy the products are also exposed to benzene. 不只工人工作在非常剧毒的环境中,购买产品的消费者也会暴露在苯之下。
At the moment, consumers don't have a benzene-free choice. There are no benzene-free electronics,  此时,消费者还没有不含苯的选择。没有不含苯的电子用品,
so you can't go to a shop and ask for the one or the other thing.  所以你无法去一间店并要求要买一个不含苯、或其他类似的产品。
But consumers can ask and can get in touch with brands, and say,  但消费者可以询问,并联络品牌,问:
"What is this whole issue with benzene? I'm worried and concerned about benzene poisoning,"  “这整个苯的问题是怎么一回事?我很担心也很关心有关苯毒害。”
and put some pressure on brands. 并加诸一些压力在品牌上。
Dear Dad and Mom, 亲爱的爸爸妈妈:
How are you? 你们好吗?
I'm sorry I'm not there to take care of you. 我很抱歉我不能在那儿照顾你们。
Will you forgive me? 你们会原谅我吗?
I thought about suicide. 我想过要自杀。
I thought about jumping from the building, but I didn't have the strength to climb on the roof. 我想过要从那栋建筑跳下来,但我没有力气爬上屋顶。
I've come a long way now, and I'm strong enough to survive. 我现在已经进步很多了,且我也够强壮能生存下来。
I will stay positive and live each day with a sense of purpose. 我会带着目标保持积极并度过每一天。
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/omrwfq/465461.html