创业成功人士访谈录 第21期:戴尔CEO(3)(在线收听

   Most of your growth, though, is likely to come in quickly developing countries like China.

  你们多数成就是在发展迅速的国家,如在中国取得的。
  What is your strategy there?
  你们在这些国家有怎样的战略?
  We just introduced a new product for $349.
  我们刚推出了一款349美金的产品。
  It’s a very basic PC一not expandable.
  是很基础的计算机——不可扩内存。
  But if you want to do basic functions like get on the Internet, do word processing,
  但如果你只是需要一些基本操作,如上网、文字处理、
  E-mail, spreadsheets, that sort of thing, it works just fine.
  发邮件、做电子表格这一类的事情,足够了。
  It’s for the new PC buyer~we are talking about the next billion computers
  这是给新用户的,我们是说下一批10亿台计算机
  一and they’re coming in China and India, Brazil, Turkey, and Russia.
  -在中国、印度、巴西、土耳其和俄罗斯
  There is a lot of opportunity there.
  都有广阔前景。
  A cheap PC一is that enough?
  一台廉价的计算机就足够了吗?
  Analysts expect the Chinese computer market to outgrow that of the US by 2013.
  分析家称到2013年中国的计算机市场将超过美国。
  I‘m not sure about that.
  这一点我并不确定。
  But it is growing very, very fast.
  但是中国市场增长非常快。
  We’ve grown 45 percent per year in China and we have two factories there.
  在中国我们每年的增长率为45%,在那我们有两家工厂。
  In China this year we are spending almost $19 billion with our suppliers.
  在中国,我们今年大概为我们的供应商花费了190亿美金。
  That’s much higher than what our local Chinese competitor is generating in revenues.
  比当地的竞争者的收益还要高。
  You mean, of course, Lenovo, which took over IBM’s PC business more than two years ago.
  你是说,当然,联想在两年前收购了IBM个人计算机业务。
  It didn’ t really work out, did it?
  但并没有什么成果,是吗?
  No.
  没有。
  They have lost market share everywhere in the world except China where they’re kind of treading water.
  除了中国以外,他们到处丢失市场份额。在中国,他们也是如履薄冰。
  Why isn’t Dell doing so well in Germany?
  为什么戴尔在德国市场做得不好?
  Four years ago, you told Der Spiegel that you’d become market leader here by 2008.
  4年前,你跟德国《明镜》周刊说2008年你将成为这个市场的领军人物。
  But that hasn’t happened.
  但是并没有。
  We still have a year left.
  我们还有一年的时间。
  We moved up to rank three from rank five last year.
  去年我们的排名由第五位上升到第三位。
  And we’re number one in the commercial market.
  同时我们是商业市场的第一名。
  But no question about it.
  但是毫无疑问,
  We can absolutely do better.
  我们可以做得更好。
  When Steve Jobs returned to Apple,
  史蒂夫乔布斯回归苹果公司,
  he reinvented the company.
  他对公司进行了重组。
  With the iPod’s success, his market value now is much bigger than Dell’s.
  现在,随着iPod的成功,他的身价已超过了你。
  Is Jobs’s performance an example for you?
  他的做法会成为你的榜样吗?
  There are lots of examples.
  榜样有很多。
  Apple’s a pretty different company than Dell.
  苹果与戴尔不同。但是毫无疑问,
  But he’s certainly done a very nice job.
  他做得很好。
  Does Dell need an iPod-like revolution?
  戴尔也需要一场iPod式的革命吗?
  If you look at the development of Dell from 1984 to today,
  如果你看看戴尔1984年至今的发展史,
  we have a history of doing new things.
  我们有创造新事物的历史。
  We’re not going to stagnate.
  我们不会停滞不前。
  Look at the consumer market—so far we're participating in just one part of this business, the computer.
  看看消费市场——我们现在只活跃在计算机市场中。
  How will that change?
  会如何改变呢?
  It’s still a secret right now.
  现在这还是个秘密。
  But think about what’s happening with wireless communications.
  但是想想无线通信发生了什么改变。
  There was a reason we hired a new consumer head who comes from Motorola.
  我们新从摩托罗拉雇用一名消费领域的领导者是有原因的。
  Computer, home entertainment, communications, it’s all moving together.
  计算机、家庭娱乐、通信,这些都合为一体了。
  How is this changing the business?
  这将促使你们的生意做出怎样的改变?
  First of all, the lines that previously separated various industries are breaking down.
  首先,之前将各行业划分开来的界线消失了。
  Five years from now when you ask yourself what is a PC,
  未来5年,如果你问自己什么是计算机,
  what is digital home entertainment, what is a cell phone, the differences won’t be so clear.
  什么是电子家庭娱乐,什么是手机,区别可能并不明显。
  Companies who used to deal in totally different business models will be looking more and more like the same industry.
  不同行业的公司现在可能将要成为同行了。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/cycgftl/400455.html