英语听书《海底两万里》第434期 第26章 大头鲸和长须鲸(15)(在线收听

 Indeed, despite its efforts, despite the powerful methods it used to split this ice, the Nautilus was reduced to immobility.  的确,不管它怎样努力,不管它用来冲破冰块的力量有多强大,诺第留斯号终归弄得纹丝不动。

Ordinarily, when someone can't go any farther, he still has the option of returning in his tracks.  平常,要是不能前进,那就可以退回去。
But here it was just as impossible to turn back as to go forward, because every passageway had closed behind us, and if our submersible remained even slightly stationary, it would be frozen in without delay.  但现在,后退跟前进一样不可能,因为水路在我们走过后就封闭了,只要我们的船略为停一下不动,它就立刻被抓挡住,寸步都不能移动。
Which is exactly what happened near two o'clock in the afternoon, and fresh ice kept forming over the ship's sides with astonishing speed.  下午两点左右发生这样的一种情形,新的冰层惊人迅速地在船两边冻给起来。
I had to admit that Captain Nemo's leadership had been most injudicious. 我现在要承认,尼摩船长是太粗率、太不谨慎了。
Just then I was on the platform. Observing the situation for some while, the captain said to me: 我正在乎台上,船长已经在那里观察形势有一些时候了,他对我说:
Well, professor! What think you? 那么,教授,您想怎样?
I think we're trapped, captain. 我想;船长,我们是被困住了。
Trapped! What do you mean? 被困住了!您这话怎么说?
I mean we can't go forward, backward, or sideways.  我是说,我们不能前进,不能后退,不能向任何一方行动。
I think that's the standard definition of 'trapped,' at least in the civilized world. 我想,这就是叫做被困住了,至少对于居住在陆地上的人来说是这样。
So, Professor Aronnax, you think the Nautilus won't be able to float clear? 阿龙纳斯先生,您就是这样想,诺第留斯号不可能脱身吗?
Only with the greatest difficulty, captain, since the season is already too advanced for you to depend on an ice breakup. 很不容易,船长,因为季候已经相当晚,解冻,我们是不能指望的了。
Oh, professor, Captain Nemo replied in an ironic tone, you never change!  啊!教授,尼摩船长带讥讽的语气回答,您老是这一套!
You see only impediments and obstacles! I promise you, not only will the Nautilus float clear, it will go farther still! 您只看见困难和障碍!我现在向您肯定说,不仅诺第留斯号可以脱身,而且它还要前进。
Farther south?  再向南方前进吗?
I asked, gaping at the captain. 我眼钉着船长问。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440131.html