ESL杰夫的一天 第80期:开车回家和跑腿讲解(6)(在线收听

 The car that is stalled is in the fast lane.  汽车在快车道上抛锚了。

The fast lane on an American freeway or highway is the first lane on the left, 美国高速公路或公路的快车道是在左边的第一条车道,
what we would say the far left lane if there are more than three lanes or more than two lanes on the freeway.  如果它有两条以上的车道,那么我们会说快车道在最左边。
Here in Southern California we have freeways that have six or seven lanes, 南加州的高速公路有六至七条车道,
so if you want to go fast, normally you go to the lane that is in the far left — the first lane on the left; that's the fast lane.  因此,如果你想开快一点,你一般会走最左边的车道——左边的第一条车道;那就是快车道。
Not everyone drives fast in the fast lane, 但并不是每个人在快车道上都会开得很快,
but it's the common understanding among drivers that if you are in the fast lane, you should go faster than the other cars. 但如果你在快车道上,你就应该比其它车子开得更快,这是司机们的共识。
Well, this car is "stalled in the fast lane near La Brea." La Brea is a name of a street here in Los Angeles,  好了,这辆车在“靠近拉布雷阿街的快车道上抛锚了”。“拉布雷阿”是洛杉矶市的街道名,
and the car is "backing up traffic all the way to Hoover."  并且车子“一直堵到胡佛街”。
Hoover is another street here in LA. “胡佛”是洛杉矶的另一条街道名。
To back up traffic means that the cars are stopped behind you. “To back up traffic”意思是车子停在了你的身后。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jfdyt/443163.html