英语小达人 422 Good Heart to Lean On(4)(在线收听

 I now know he participated in some things vicariously through me, his only son.  现在我知道一些事情他是通过我——他唯一的儿子来做的。

When I played ball (poorly), he played too.  当我打球时(尽管我打得很糟糕),他也在打球。
When I joined the Navy he joined too.  当我参加海军时,他也参军。
And when I came home on leave, he saw to it that I visited his office.  当时我休假,他一定会让我去他的办公室,
Introducing me, he was really saying,  向人介绍我时,其实他真正想说的是:
This is my son, but it is also me,  这是我儿子,但也是我自己,
and I could have done this, too, if things had been different.  假如事情不是这样的话,我也会去参军的。
Those words were never said aloud.  那些话他从来没有说出口。
He has been gone many years now, but I think of him often. 父亲离开我们已经很多年了,但是我时常想起他。
I wonder if he sensed my reluctance to be seen with him during our walks.  我不知道他是否意识到我曾经不愿意让人看到和他走在一起的心理。
If he did, I am sorry I never told him how sorry I was, how unworthy I was, how I regretted it.  假如他知道这一切,我现在感到很后悔,因为我从没告诉过他我是多么愧疚、多么不孝、多么悔恨。
I think of him when I complain about trifles, when I am envious of another's good fortune, when I don't have a good heart. 每当我为一些琐事而抱怨,妒忌别人的好运,缺乏善心的时候,我就会想起我的父亲。
At such times I put my hand on his arm to regain my balance,  此时,我会挽着他的胳膊保持身体平衡,
and say, You set the pace, I will try to adjust to you. 并且说,你走你的,我想法儿跟上你。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yyxdr/445450.html