美国语文第六册 第126期:伍尔西大主教的垮台(2)(在线收听

 Enter Cromwell, and stands amazed. 克伦威尔上,惊愕地站在那里。

Why, how now, Cromwell! 怎么了,克伦威尔?
Cromwell says: I have no power to speak, sir. 克伦威尔说道:先生,我简直没有说话的力气了。
What, amazed At my misfortunes? Can thy spirit wonder, A great man should decline? 怎么,被我的不幸吓呆了吗?你这样才智出众的人,见到伟大人物衰落至此也竟感到吃惊吗?
Nay, an you weep, I am fall'n indeed. 不,你要是哭的话,那我可就完了。
How does your grace? 大人觉得如何?
Why, well; Never so truly happy, my good Cromwell. 很好,从来没有像现在这样好过,我的好克伦威尔。
I know myself now; and I fed within me A peace above all earthly dignities, A still and quiet conscience. 我现在真正了解自己了,内心的宁静超越了人间所有的尊荣,一种宁静安详的感觉。
The king has cured me, I humbly thank his grace; 国王把我医治好了,我衷心地感谢他;
and from these shoulders, These ruin'd pillars, out of pity, taken A load would sink a navy,—too much honor: 他出于怜悯之心,从我这两个肩头,这两根坍塌了的柱石上,把一副重担卸下,我承受的荣誉太重了,会压沉一支舰队。
Oh, 't is a burthen, Cromwell, 't is a burthen, Too heavy for a man that hopes for heaven! 那真是负担哪,克伦威尔,真是负担啊,对于一个向往天堂的人来说,是太沉重了。
I am glad your grace has made that right use of it. 我很高兴大人你能如此正确地对待这种负担。
I hope I have: I am able now, methinks, Out of a fortitude of soul I feel, To endure more miseries, and greater far, Than my weak-hearted enemies dare offer. 我希望我能做到;我觉得,由于灵魂坚强了,我现在似乎也能够忍受比我那些怯懦的敌人,敢于加在我身上的苦难更多更大的苦难。
What news abroad? 外边有什么消息吗?
The heaviest, and the worst, Is your displeasure with the king. 最痛心的、最坏的消息就是您失去国王恩宠的事情。
God bless him! 愿上帝保佑他吧!
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgybyw/d6c/467064.html