译林版牛津高中英语(必修4):Unit3 Tomorrow's world-Project(3)(在线收听

The Time Machine

时间机器

by H.G. Wells

赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯

Here is my Time Machine.

这是我的时间机器。

This is where you sit, and with these two white handles, you can travel into the future or the past.

你可以坐在里面,拉动两只白色的拉杆,你就可以去未来或过去旅行。

I finished the machine just last week, and decided to use it to see the future.

我上周才把机器制造出来,我决定用它去看看未来。

As I pulled one handle, the world around me became foggy.

当我拉动一只拉杆时,我周围的景象变得雾蒙蒙的。

Days and nights zipped by and everything changed before my eyes.

白天、黑夜飞速交替,一切都在眼前变换。

Buildings and cities appeared and disappeared in a flash.

大厦、城市都是瞬间闪现或消失。

Finally, I heard a loud thunder, and everything stopped.

最后,我听到了一声响雷,所有的事物也都停了下来。

There was a city in front of me that appeared very old and worn.

我眼前是一座破旧、荒芜的城市。

I was now in the year AD 802,701, and mankind had evolved into two races, the Eloi and the Morlocks.

我现在在公元802701年,人类已经进化为两个种族,爱洛伊人和摩洛克人。

The Eloi were small and like children.

爱洛伊人小小的个头,貌似孩童。

They lived above the ground and spent all of their time at play.

他们住在地面上,一生的时间都是在玩乐。

Unlike the Elio, the Morlocks looked like white beasts.

和爱洛伊人不同,摩洛克人看起似白色的怪兽。

They lived underground, where they kept machines running so that the Elio would be happy and well fed.

他们住在地下,在那里他们一直运转着机器,这样爱洛伊人才可能快乐,被喂养得好。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/jiaocai/ylbnjgzyy/bxsi/482976.html