人物:抗击疫情的一线英雄们(3)(在线收听

BLAIRE GUIDRY, 26 Cardiac-ICU Nurse

BLAIRE GUIDRY, 26岁心脏重症监护室护士

We’re used to seeing death. Our unit has the highest mortality rate in the hospital.

我们已经看惯了死亡。我们部门的死亡率是医院里最高的。

But this seems like a different kind of death—just sad and emotionally exhausting.

但这种死亡似乎与以往不同——只有悲伤和情感上的疲惫。

Patients not being able to have any family with them is very, very hard, because we take care of the families too.

没有家人陪伴的病人非常非常痛苦,因为我们也要照顾他们的家人。

Now they can only call us, crying. My first patient with the virus was last week.

现在他们只能哭着给我们打电话。上周我接触到了第一个感染病毒的病人。

He was in his 70s and not doing well.

他70多岁了,情况不太好。

His wife called me every day and said that she didn’t know what to do with herself—she was just sitting there at home, crying.

他的妻子每天都给我打电话,说她不知道该怎么办——她只能坐在家里哭。

He passed away. She could have come—if it’s end of life and we’re turning off machines, the spouse and immediate children are allowed.

他去世了。她本可以来医院的——如果到了生命的尽头,我们关掉机器后,她的配偶和直系子女是可以来的。

But she knew she would have to be masked if she came, and she didn’t want to take away a mask, knowing how much we need that equipment.

但她知道如果她来的话,就必须得戴面具,她不想占用一个面具,因为她知道我们非常需要那个设备。

It was just so selfless it made me cry.

她太伟大了,我都感动哭了。

I’m not a crier, and I’m just crying every day.

我不是个好哭包,可现在每天都在哭。

JAIME McELMON, 40 Critical-Care Nurse

JAIME McELMON, 40岁,危重症护士

It’s terrifying. I’ve been a nurse a long time, always in critical care.

太可怕了。我当护士很长时间了,一直在重症监护室。

I’ve had patients punch me or throw urine bottles at me.

曾经有病人打我或朝我扔尿瓶。

This is a different fear. Because this was unexpected. No one was prepared for this.

但这一次的恐惧非同寻常。因为它出乎意料。没有人对此有所准备。

I think about the patients alone in the ICU or dying alone.

我想到那些独自待在ICU或孤独死去的病人。

We are all gowned up, but as nurses,we’re all about human touch.

我们从头到脚裹得严严实实,但作为护士,我们的工作就是跟人接触。

We hold patients’ hands, and I can’t anymore.

我们握着病人的手,但现在不能这么做了。

There is a patient here now. She’s 30 years old. And alone.

现在这里有个病人。她30岁。孤身一人。

That is hard. Some of us are scared to go to work.

太难了。我们中的一些人害怕去工作。

Yes, I am scared I’m going to get it.

是的,我害怕我会染上病毒。

I just have to be aware of my surroundings, to slowdown, make sure I’m protected.

我只需要注意周围的环境,放慢速度,确保自己做了防护。

I wash everything. And patients know we are in fear now—the rationing of supplies, some of us wearing trash bags (because there aren’t enough sterile gowns).

我什么都会洗。病人们知道我们正处于恐惧之中——物资的配给,我们中的一些人穿着垃圾袋(因为没有足够的无菌罩衣)。

Loved ones dropping loved ones off in the ER, and they can’t come in.

心爱的人把心爱的人送进急诊室,但他们却不能进来。

But I have to show up and do my job.

但我必须去做我的工作。

I have to leave me behind, in a sense.

在某种意义上,我不得不把自己抛在身后。

I protect and advocate for my patients and try my best to stay safe.

我保护并支持我的病人,尽我最大的努力保持安全。

Health-care workers cannot wait for the scientific studies to be done.

医护人员不能等待科学研究的完成。

We just suit up and show up. And I pray.

我们只需要穿好防护服出现就行了。我还会祈祷。

"When I get home, I'm glad to be able to hold my partner's hand." says McELMON.

“回家后,我很高兴能握着爱人的手。”McELMON说。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/rwzz/511046.html