血字的研究 74复仇天使(5)(在线收听

"I am Jefferson Hope," he said. "You remember me."

他说:"我是杰弗逊·侯波。你还记得我吗?"

The Mormon looked at him with undisguised astonishment

这个摩门教徒带着毫不掩饰的惊异神色望着他。

Indeed,it was difficult to recognize in this tattered, unkempt wanderer, with ghastly white face and fierce, wild eyes, the spruce young hunter of former days.

的确,这个面色惨白、两目狰狞、衣衫褴褛、蓬首垢面的流浪汉,很难使人认出他就是当日那个年轻英俊的猎人。

Having, however, at last satisfied himself as to his identity, the man's surprise changed to consternation.

但是,当他终于认出这确实是侯波时,他的惊异便变成了恐怖。

"You are mad to come here," he cried.

他叫了起来:"你疯了,竟敢跑到这里来。

"It is as much as my own life is worth to be seen talking with you.

要是有人看见我在和你说话,连我这条命也要保不住了。

There is a warrant against you from the Holy Four for assisting the Ferriers away."

因为你帮助费瑞厄父女逃走,四圣已经下令通缉你了。"

"I don't fear them, or their warrant," Hope said, earnestly.

侯波恳切地说:"我不怕他们,我也不怕他们的通缉。

"You must know something of this matter, Cowper.

考起,你一定已经听说这件事了。

I conjure you by everything you hold dear to answer a few questions.

我千万求你回答几个问题。

We have always been friends. For God's sake, don't refuse to answer me."

咱们一向是朋友,请你看在上帝的份上,不要拒绝。"

"What is it?" the Mormon asked, uneasily.

这个摩门教徒不安地问道:"什么问题?

"Be quick. The very rocks have ears and the trees eyes."

赶快说,这些石头都有耳朵,这些大树也长着眼睛哩。"

"What has become of Lucy Ferrier?"

"露茜·费瑞厄怎么样了?"

"She was married yesterday to young Drebber. Hold up, man, hold up; you have no life left in you."

"她在昨天和小锥伯结婚了。站稳了,喂,你要站稳些。看,你怎么魂不附体了?"

"Don't mind me," said Hope faintly.

"不要管我,"侯波有气无力地说。

He was white to the very lips, and had sunk down on the stone against which he had been leaning. "Married, you say?"

他的嘴唇都白了,颓然跌坐在刚才靠着的那块石头上,"你说结婚了?"

"Married yesterday–that's what those flags are for on the Endowment House.

"昨天结婚的,新房上挂着的那些旗帜就是为了这个。

There was some words between young Drebber and young Stangerson as to which was to have her.

究竟该谁娶她,在这个问题上小锥伯和小斯坦节逊还有过一番争执呢。

They'd both been in the party that followed them, and Stangerson had shot her father,

他们两个人都去追赶过他们,斯坦节逊还开枪打死了她的父亲,

which seemed to give him the best claim; but when they argued it out in council,

因此他就更有理由要求得到她。但是,他们在四圣会议上争执的时候,

Drebber's party was the stronger, so the Prophet gave her over to him.

因为锥伯一派势力大,于是先知就把露茜交给了锥伯。

No one won't have her very long though, for I saw death in her face yesterday.

可是,不管是谁占有她,都不会长久了;因为昨天我看见她已经是一脸死色,

She is more like a ghost than a woman. Are you off, then?"

哪里还象个女人,简直是个鬼了。你要走了吗?"

"Yes, I am off," said Jefferson Hope, who had risen from his seat.

"是的,我要走了。"杰弗逊·侯波说时已经站了起来。

His face might have been chiselled out of marble, so hard and set was its expression, while its eyes glowed with a baleful light.

他的面貌简直象大理石雕刻成的一样,神情严峻而坚决,一双眼睛闪露着凶光。

"Where are you going?"

"你要到哪里去呢?"

"Never mind," he answered;

"你不要管。"他回答说,

and, slinging his weapon over his shoulder, strode off down the gorge and so away into the heart of the mountains to the haunts of the wild beasts.

一面背其他的武器,大踏步走下山谷,从那里一直走到大山深处的野兽出没之地。

Amongst them all there was none so fierce and so dangerous as himself.

群兽之中,再没有比侯波更为凶猛、更为危险的了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533162.html