绿玉皇冠案 14宝石不见了(1)(在线收听

"I am endeavouring to tell you everything, Mr. Holmes, which may have any bearing upon the case,

"我尽可能将一切讲给你听,福尔摩斯先生,这跟案件也许有些关系。

but I beg that you will question me upon any point which I do not make clear."

我哪一点没讲清楚,请你务必提出来。"

"On the contrary, your statement is singularly lucid."

"恰恰相反,你讲得非常清楚。"

"I come to a part of my story now in which I should wish to be particularly so.

"现在说到我要特别指出的那一部分情节。

I am not a very heavy sleeper, and the anxiety in my mind tended, no doubt, to make me even less so than usual.

我不是睡得很沉的人,并且担着心事,无疑使我睡得比平时还易惊醒。

About two in the morning, then, I was awakened by some sound in the house.

大约在凌晨两点钟的时候,我被屋里的某种响声吵醒了。

It had ceased ere I was wide awake, but it had left an impression behind it as though a window had gently closed somewhere.

在我完全清醒以前这声音便没有了,但它留给我一个似乎什么地方有一扇窗户曾经轻轻地关上了的印象。

I lay listening with all my ears.

我侧着身子全神贯注地倾听着。

Suddenly, to my horror, there was a distinct sound of footsteps moving softly in the next room.

忽然间,使我惶恐的是,隔壁房间里传来了清晰的、轻轻走动的脚步声。

I slipped out of bed, all palpitating with fear, and peeped round the corner of my dressing-room door.

我满怀恐惧悄悄地下了床,从我起居室的门角处张望过去。

'Arthur!' I screamed, 'you villain! you thief! How dare you touch that coronet?'

'阿瑟!'我尖叫起来,'你这流氓,你这个贼!你怎么敢碰那皇冠?'

The gas was half up, as I had left it, and my unhappy boy, dressed only in his shirt and trousers,

我放在那里的煤气灯还半亮着,我那不幸的孩子只穿着衬衫和裤子,

was standing beside the light, holding the coronet in his hands.

站在灯旁,手里拿着那顶皇冠。

He appeared to be wrenching at it, or bending it with all his strength.

他似乎正在使尽全身力气扳着它,换句话说,拗着它。

At my cry he dropped it from his grasp and turned as pale as death.

听到我的喊声,他手一松,皇冠便掉落到了地上。

I snatched it up and examined it. One of the gold corners, with three of the beryls in it, was missing."

他的脸死一般地苍白。我把它抢到手一检查,发现在一个金质的边角处有三块绿玉不见了。"

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/537765.html