《简·爱》 Chapter 17 第十七章(2)(在线收听

I went on with my day's business tranquilly.

我平静地干着一天的工作。

But ever and anon vague suggestions kept wandering across my brain of reasons why I should quit Thornfield.

不过脑海中时时隐约闪过我要离开桑菲尔德的理由。

And I kept involuntarily framing advertisements and pondering conjectures about new situations.

我不由自主地设计起广告,预测起新的工作来。

These thoughts I did not think to check;

这些想法,我没有必要去制止。

They might germinate and bear fruit if they could.

它们也许会生根发芽,还可能结出果子来。

Mr. Rochester had been absent upwards of a fortnight, when the post brought Mrs. Fairfax a letter.

罗切斯特先生离家已经两周多了,这时候邮差送来了一封给费尔法克斯太太的信。

"It is from the master," said she, as she looked at the direction.

"是老爷写来的,"她后了看姓名地址说。

"Now I suppose we shall know whether we are to expect his return or not."

"现在我想可以知道能不能盼他回来了。"

And while she broke the seal and perused the document, I went on taking my coffee (we were at breakfast) .

她在拆开封口仔细看信时,我继续喝我的咖啡(我们在吃早饭)。

It was hot, and I attributed to that circumstance a fiery glow which suddenly rose to my face.

咖啡很热,我把脸上突然泛起的红晕看作是它的缘故。

Why my hand shook, and why I involuntarily spilt half the contents of my cup into my saucer, I did not choose to consider.

不过,我的手为什么抖个不停,为什么我情不自禁地把半杯咖啡溢到了碟子上,我就不想去考虑了。

"Well, I sometimes think we are too quiet, but we run a chance of being busy enough now, for a little while at least,"

"嗨,有时候我总认为太冷清,现在可有机会够我们忙了,至少得忙一会儿"

said Mrs. Fairfax, still holding the note before her spectacles.

费尔法克斯太太说,仍然把信纸举着放在眼镜前面。

Ere I permitted myself to request an explanation, I tied the string of Adèle's pinafore, which happened to be loose.

我没有立即提出要求解释,而是系好了阿黛勒碰巧松开的围涎,哄她又吃了个小面包。

Having helped her also to another bun and refilled her mug with milk, I said, nonchalantly:

把她的杯子再倒满牛奶,随后淡然问道:

"Mr. Rochester is not likely to return soon, I suppose?"

"我猜想罗切斯特先生不会马上回来吧?"

"Indeed he is — in three days, he says.

"说真的,他要回来了 — 他说三天以后到。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/549717.html