英国卫报:迷失在网络里的青少年黑客(10)(在线收听

After that we chatted sporadically over WhatsApp.

此后,我们通过WhatsApp断断续续地聊天。

His final messages were laced with despair.

他最后发的信息中充满了绝望。

“I don’t like it here,” he wrote, and “They’ve got guns”, and “I want to get out of here ASAP.”

他写道:“我不喜欢这里,“他们有枪”,“我想尽快离开这里”。

He stopped responding to my questions about KPN.

他不再回应我关于KPN的问题。

A few days later I was contacted by a source.

几天后,一个消息来源联系上了我。

“Did you hear about Edwin?”

“你听说埃德温的事了吗?”

He’d been found dead in a hotel bathtub, not far from Seoul’s international airport.

他被发现在一家酒店的浴缸里去世了,离首尔国际机场不远。

The door of his room had been barricaded from the inside with furniture and pillows.

他房间的门被人用家具和枕头从里面堵住了。

At their home, José and Ruud pulled out pictures of Edwin and told me about his complicated youth.

在他们的家里,何塞和鲁德拿出了埃德温的照片,向我讲述了他复杂的青年时代。

They asked about my last conversation with him, about which Ruud observed: “That was just before he died.”

他们问起我与他的最后一次谈话,鲁德说:“那是在他去世之前。

Edwin’s arrest and incarceration were a tipping point, they told me – after that, it was all downhill.

他们告诉我,埃德温的被捕和入狱是一个转折点--在那之后,一切都在走下坡路。

And questions linger: if it’s that easy to break in somewhere, isn’t there a much bigger societal problem we ought to address?

问题是:如果闯入某个地方那么容易,是不是有一个更大的社会问题等待我们解决?

It certainly didn’t help that his parents had only a hazy grasp of what Edwin actually did.

他的父母对埃德温的实际工作只有一个模糊的认识,这当然没有帮助。

The technical jargon authorities used in the case against Edwin meant nothing to them.

当局在起诉埃德温的案件中使用的技术术语对他们来说毫无意义。

According to the public prosecutor, it constituted “one of the most serious hacks in the Netherlands’ history”.

据公诉人称,这构成了 “荷兰历史上最严重的黑客行为之一”。

Edwin’s work was “ingenious” and the “impact on KPN and thus on society at large, immense”.

埃德温的工作是 “巧妙的”,而且 "对KPN以及整个社会的影响是巨大的"。

By KPN’s own reckoning, it cost them 3m pounds.

根据KPN自己的计算,这让他们损失了300万英镑。

After the hack, KPN took measures to ramp up security in its systems.

黑客事件发生后,KPN采取了措施来加强其系统的安全。

Although Edwin immediately pleaded guilty to all charges in court and cooperated with the judicial inquiry, the public prosecutor was scathing in his condemnation.

尽管埃德温立即在法庭上对所有指控表示认罪,并与司法调查合作,但公诉人还是对其进行了严厉的谴责。

Edwin’s actions, he charged, had been “malicious and deliberate” and caused “imminent danger to life”.

他指控埃德温的行为是 “恶意和故意的”,并造成了 “紧迫的生命危险”。

“We really had no idea what he was up to,” Ruud said.

“我们真的不知道他要干什么,”鲁德说。

It brought home to him just how vastly different the risks of the digital world are from those of the real world.

这让他意识到,数字世界的风险与现实世界的风险有多么大的不同。

“It never even occurred to us that he could cause something like this.”

“我们甚至从来没有想过,他可以做出这样的事情。”

“I’m more anxious about computers now,” Ruud admitted.

鲁德说道,“我现在看到电脑感觉更焦虑了”。

When he fills in his tax returns and can’t get the site to work, he gets stressed out.

当他填写报税表遇到网站无法工作时,他就会感到压力。

“Sometimes I’m afraid someone might be using my identity.

“有时我担心有人会利用我的身份。

I’m forced to depend on technologies I can’t understand, and that worries me.”

我被迫依赖我无法理解的技术,这让我很担心。”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ygwb/553872.html